Thursday, July 17, 2014

La Republica Dominicana, Te Quiero

Too much love in one picture!  Griseli and I.
     Friday, July 11th, was my last day in the beautiful country of the Dominican Republic.  I don't think words do justice to how hard saying goodbye actually was, but I'm going to try.

     I arrived in La Otra Banda to spend a few hours there playing with the kids and to say goodbye in the afternoon.  I spent time walking with the ones I had become particularly close with.  We sat on the mountain overlooking the city just making small talk while watching Griseli and her siblings climb trees and eat Chinola right off the branch.  It was so ordinary and resembled my everyday life during my time there.  No phones, no watches, and nothing to do but spend time talking.

     I went to Griseli's house to say bye to her mom, and what happened in the next few minutes was not what I was expecting.  Her mother Ingrid, 24 years old trying to provide for 6 children, made hard by the world and it's difficulties, began to weep.  She told me how much she appreciated my care for her and her family.  She said that she loved me and that I meant a lot to her.  I, holding onto every bit of strength I could summon, unclasped the "Te Amo" (I Love You) necklace from around my neck and placed it around hers.  I told her that I love her so so much and her family as well.  But more than I love her, Jesus loves her and that it is so important that she knows that.  We hugged and cried together knowing that we had found each other for a reason.  I let go of her and before I could recover my strength Griseli threw her arms around me, burying her face in my shirt, and began to sob.  This is an image that I will never forget.  I can still look down and picture her there with her arms wrapped tightly around me, my hands lightly brushing her hair from her face, and trying tell her it's okay through my shaking sobs.  What an image of how much God worked in all of us.  The beauty of his presence was there in the midst of our tears and I realized all he had given me.

     Isn't it interesting that the place that was such a struggle to leave home for, is a place that was so incredibly hard to leave.  God will change hearts.   Everyday since returning home Saturday I have  felt incredible homesickness towards the Dominican Republic.  It was such a struggle to make myself write this post to tell of the end of this trip because I didn't want to have to put into words how sad I actually was.  But I have to tell you, because you need to see the beauty of this.  God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.  He has truly changed my life and writing all the ways I am changed would be very hard.  I hope that those of you who have followed me in this journey will see the change in me and even be kind enough to hear my story in person because writing doesn't do it justice.  I pray that you let my story of God's sufficient love change you.  I give all the glory to Him, the writer of my story and the provider of my strength; I am just a mere messenger who was put here so that you would experience Him.  This isn't the end, it's only a small mark in what I will do with these kids, after all, I will be returning to the Dominican Republic as soon as God allows.  Thanks for the support and prayers through this.. What an amazing journey..
Ingrid, her family, and I saying goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment