Monday, July 13, 2015

This is Freedom at its Finest


     Going into this journey I wasn’t sure what would happen.  I didn’t know if the teens would still be excited to work with me, if the plans would work like I had planned, or if I would gain anything from this trip.  Every moment of my wandering and nervous feelings never changed what God’s plans were for this trip though.  God had a vision, and though I am not consistent, he is.  This trip, in its month long duration, was one of the most intense and testing times in my walk with God.  To wake up everyday and talk to people about God and the sacrifice Jesus made was such an incredible experience.  Though working with teens doesn’t look much different there than it does anywhere else, I was thrilled that God called me to spend some time with these great people. 


     So what did my job consist of..?  Well let me take a shot at it: wake up to rooster crow, greet hungry mosquitos and head out on foot, catch a minivan that already has 17 people in it and squeeze onto a strangers lap, after 35 minutes get out and catch a car that has 6 people in it and squeeze in once more, arrive at base of mountain and take a 25 minute hike up, hunch over as if dying and catch air, greet all of the children with big hugs and act like I didn’t just die, eat a sumo wrester’s portion of rice and beans, sing and dance like I just drank a 5-hour energy for Jesus, preach a sermon in butchered Spanish to teens, take teens out into community to share their faith in God, return to the church to find water bottle empty, allow body to be a human jungle gym to all the children, take 30 minutes to say bye to everyone in the community (at least two times each), pack 4 people onto a sketchy motorcycle to head home, get home to eat another heaping of rice and beans, find a cockroach and watch your 12 year old roommate unsuccessfully try and kill it, sleep with the fear of where the cockroach is, turn fan on until it looks as if it could fly on its own, sleep, repeat.


     I have been blessed beyond measure to have been given the opportunity to share the life of Jesus with many teens.  These teens are all so so special to me and I miss them dearly!  Though working with teens is tough, it was so fun and rewarding to be used by God.  He has taught me to go the extra mile and be intentional by just doing life with people.  He has taught me that he provides the strength needed to complete his missions.  He has taught me that he loves to meet with me every single day, and I learned that I loved these times too.  And most importantly he has taught me that he is real and that he is alive around us!


     Listen clearly to my message.  Jesus died on the cross so that you and I might experience the freedom there is when we live in obedience to him.  Seems strange to say, I know.  Quit living like a prisoner of war when the war has already been won!   He is offering us freedom!  We might have to give up some comforts and things we think are important now, but there is beauty in obedience to Our Savior and more life than we could ever find anywhere else.  The road that God has for us is anything but ordinary.  It is beautiful and filled with laughter and love and life.  We just have to learn to choose it.  Don't wait to accept the invitation he is offering.  Take it and don't turn back.  "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me"- Revelation 3:20.  As I will forever say with joy, look at the beauty that comes from the obedience.  It has been a joy to share this with you all once again!  Until the next time :)

Life is an adventure, or nothing at all.
Xoxo,


1 comment:

  1. Hahhaa!! "Sleep in fear of where the cockroach is..."

    I was laughing because I could picture your while adventure; it sounds like it was very fun and full of love & great memories!
    I'm gonna finish reading the rest now. :)

    💗-Amy

    ReplyDelete